YouthBASE is an evidence-based afterschool and summer program that is designed to help provide a better future for children in Greenville. We believe a deficit in one area affects the entire child, and that every child deserves to have a future.
- 1 in 5 first graders in Greenville County are not ready for school. (Kids Count)
- 68.2% of South Carolina’s public high school students graduated on time in 2012. That’s the fourth lowest rank in the country (National Center for Education Statistics).
- High school dropouts are three times more likely to be unemployed than college graduates (R&D Connections).
- Children reading on grade level in 3rd grade have a higher rate of high school graduation.
- 16% of children who are not reading proficiently by the end of third grade do not graduate from high school on time, a rate four times greater than that for proficient readers.
- Children who live in poverty for at least a year and were not reading proficiently, the proportion failing to graduate rose to 26% (1 in 4).
- Children living in neighborhoods of concentrated poverty and not reading proficiently by third grade 35% do not graduate on time.
- Overall, 1 in 4 children living in poverty do not graduate from high school.
This is why programs like YouthBASE are so vital. Students who have deficits in any of the four areas may need additional support outside of school. As a data driven organization, YouthBASE collects data on current students and alumni to gauge the program’s overall effectiveness, modify program and individual plans. Ultimately, we want to contribute to or make a positive impact on graduation rates. Anecdotally, teachers report that YouthBASE students behave and perform better during the regular school day.
Consider Giving Today