Why We Matter
YouthBASE is an evidence-based afterschool and summer program that is designed to help provide a better future for children in Greenville. We believe a deficit in one area affects the entire child, and that every child deserves to have a promising and hopeful future.
The Risks of Childhood Poverty
- Children who are not reading proficiently by third grade are four times more likely to drop out of high school before graduating – Annie E. Casey Foundation
- 14% of children in Greenville County are living in poverty and the number of children whose families are one crisis away from poverty is even higher – KIDS COUNT 2020
- Children who live in or have experienced poverty are less likely to graduate compared to their more affluent peers – Annie E. Casey Foundation
- South Carolina ranks 39th in the nation for overall child well-being and 43rd in the nation for education outcomes- KID COUNT 2022
- 58.9% of children in Greenville have experienced at least one ACE (Adverse Childhood Experience) which is directly related to trauma.
Educational Outcomes in Greenville, SC
- SC Department of Education recently reported that “students in the earliest grades suffered the greatest learning lag” as a direct result of the COVID-19 pandemic
- 39.8% of third graders in Greenville County are testing below state standards in English Language Arts (2018-2019) (68% of fourth graders in SC are not proficient in reading)
- 39.5% of children in Greenville County are not ready for Kindergarten based on Kindergarten Readiness Assessment (2022)
- 41.8% of third graders did not meet SC Ready standards for English Language Arts
- 36.8% of third graders did not meet state math standards (2022)
- Of the Title 1 Elementary School YouthBASE serves, an estimated 60% of students are NOT meeting grade level standards in reading and math
Consider Giving Today
What Does Success Look Like to Us?
Performing at or above grade level academically
Age appropriate behavior
(respectful, polite, good communication skills)